When Social Workers Care About the Kids.

In my year of being a foster sister I have seen both good and bad social workers. I’ve gotten the weird looks when people find out what my family does, and the excited expressions of people who have been impacted by foster care. I’ve heard and seen the stories of parents who’ve gotten their wake up call and turned their lives around for their kids, and the ones who’ve tried to play the system, and hurt their kids even more in the process. 
We’ve been open for a month to take new placements, since Pete ( a nickname I’m using because he loves the Pete the Cat books.) went to a kinship placement.  Pete was excited to go back to “his beautiful city”. We got a call from his social worker, after five weeks of him being in kinship that it wasn’t working out, and he asked if we were interested in taking Pete again. We definitely were. 
So Pete started his first week of homeschool, and has been enjoying being back in church, seeing his friends, and getting to be with my family again. He was shy when he first came back, we hadn’t gotten to talk to him at all while he was in kinship, but his first night back he exclaimed how happy he was to be here with us. It was a sweet moment for my parents and I.
I have to say, it’s nice to see how things work out when Social Workers are invested in the well being of the kids, and do their best to make sure the kids are with a happy family being taken care of in the best way possible. It’s been a beautiful thing to see the reactions of the people in our lives seeing Pete back with us, they’ve been amazingly sweet and supportive. 

If you enjoyed this post please leave a comment, you can also follow my blog, to let me know that you’re here enjoying my work, but if you really want to know when I post, and see more makeup related content you should follow me on instagram @not_molly_19. (Blogger apparently doesn’t notify anyone when I post :(...) I’m sorry about not posting last week, but I was super sick during the bulk of the week and didn’t really do anything useful. If you also have experience with foster care, and want to share, please do! I love to hear about other people’s experiences. Anyway, since I don’t really think there’s anything else for me to talk about, I hope to see you next time. Bye! (Waves awkwardly to you from my side of the computer because I’m weird.)

Comments

Popular Posts