Things I Think About Before I Do Makeup on Other People

Today I got to do my cousins makeup for homecoming. It was amazing, I really enjoy being someone people go to when looking to get their makeup done. In doing makeup on my cousins and friends in the last year, I’ve learned a few things that help me when I’m getting ready to do someone's makeup. 
  1. Don’t stress it. I find this very hard, but it’s true. I do my best work when I’m relaxed, and enjoying the process. I’m obviously mostly referring to doing makeup for events and things, because I don’t usually find doing a blue smokey eye on my best friend at a sleepover particularly stressful since it’s all in fun. But either way, my best work tends to show up when I’m not spewing worry out of my ears. 
  2. Don’t be afraid to have to take something off, or start over. It happens, you get mascara all over your friends wet concealer, and you instantly regret your life. That wing is curved? Something always goes wrong. Or maybe you thought everything was going great, but they just don’t like it. It’s not a big deal, don’t take it personally. Sometimes what you had in mind wasn’t quite what they wanted, or maybe it just wasn’t your best work. The more you practice the better you’ll be, both at doing makeup, and at understanding what people actually want you to do. 
  3. Pay attention to timing. Make sure everything stays as much on schedule as you can without stressing over it. The last thing you want is to get stuck finishing their makeup in a rush. 
  4. One of your first looks, or a technique you’re not familiar with? Practice on yourself. It’s the best way to get a good feeling of the look you’re doing.
  5. Practice on different eye shapes and skin tones, the more diversity the better your technique. It helps to practice on people with different skin tones to get a good idea of what colors work best on what skin tones, and on different sizes of lid space, because eyeshadow style should vary widely based on lid space and eye shape.

I hope you enjoyed my list of tips that have helped me get better at doing makeup on other people. If you did, please follow my blog, and also follow me on instagram @not_molly_19 to see when my posts go up, and to see other looks from me. Also, comment below with your thoughts and ideas. Thanks for reading, Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts